The freehand cutting method is used for those who wish to learn how to cut directly on fabric. Although, this method can also be draed on paper before being transferred to fabric, it is also simply a cutting method used widely in the fashion industry in Nigeria. TFA has created a more accurate version of the process and this technique is useful for interacting with the tailors and dressmakers in Nigeria.
Good basic math skills, a strong interest in cutting traditional Nigerian/African Styles. (Note: this course is taught with the metric length measurement-inches)
- .Cutting various skirt styles (pencil, sh/mermaid, asymmetric.
- Boubous and Kimonos.
- Iro and Buba.
Duration :2 months
Description Our bridal course at TFA is created for those interested in focusing on the techniques used to create bridalwear. If you are interested in taking your skills to an advanced level, and bridalwear or red carpet dresses are your main area of interest as a designer, fashion student or employee, then this course is for you. Do you want your dresses to look like those bought from high end designer brands Internationally? This course raises the quality and confidence of your work. With your creativity and keen eye for detail you will learn how to achieve outstanding work.
This course is an advanced course that requires Pattern making skills, strong sewing skills and professional sewing techniques. The use of an industrial straight sewing machine is also required. You will need to bring your design options with flat drawings on day 1.
- How to create a strapless bustier using boning, a hidden bra and proper interlining and support methods.
- To cut fishtails, circles and a variety of options for fullness in skirts.
- To use lace and appliqué for surface decoration.
- Ruching and pleating technique
- Making flowers and petals
- Veil concepts
- Complete step by step process to assemble a full bridal outfit
- By the end of this course you will be confident in producing a beautifully well finished bridal dress with any intricate details of design on the outside and neatly finished on the inside.
Required tools will be available for use or purchase at TFA.
Fabric and appliqués and beading will be purchased by you based on your individual budget. Booking is confirmed when you have paid to the school account. If you are new to TFA please visit the school and also confirm your eligibility
Fakhriyya Ben-Umar started her Fashion journey after her first degree in Chemical Engineering (ABU Zaria). While pursuing her masters degree in Sustainability Engineering (Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland) she took several part-time courses in Bridal wear, Couture jackets, and Pattern magic. She started her brand Mimosa Designs in 2014, which specialises in bespoke womenswear (occasion wear) and ready to wear. She has been tutoring at The Fashion Academy since 2016.